As the Order of Founds and Patriots is committed to preserving the richness of our shared past, we support historical restoration projects that breathe life into our history. At the heart of these efforts lies a profound respect for the achievement of our ancestors and the architectural marvels of monuments, and landmarks. We believe in the power of preserving our history, not just as a testament to where we come from, but as a compass guiding us towards our future.
The Order of the Founders and Patriots of America is recognized by the Internal Revenue Service as a tax-exempt public charity under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. Donations to the Order are fully deductible to the extent of the law.
The Admiral’s Flag
The John Quincy Adams Foundation of the Order of Founders and Patriots provided funds to restore an American Treasure — the “Admiral’s Flag” flown for the first time on the U.S.S. Olympia, the most famous vessel of the period, in the Battle of Manila Bay. The Olympia was a partially armored or protected cruiser constructed as part of a congressional program to build a new steel vessles with modern armament, high speed engines and armor shielding the magazines and propulsion machinery before the turn of the century. She is the oldest extant steel-hulled warship in the world.
The U.S.S. Olympia was the flagship of the victorious task force at the battle of Manila Bay on May 1, 1898. During the first two decades of the 19th century she protected American lives and interests in Panama, Dominican Republic, Murmansk (Russia), Croatia and Serbia. She returned the remains of the unknown soldier from France to the United States in 1921. She served as a training ship for Naval Academy midshipmen in 1922. Olympia was decommissioned December 9, 1922 and reclassified as a Naval relic on May 23, 1941. U.S.S. Olympia was transferred to the Cruiser Olympia Association on September 19, 1957 then to the Philadelphia Independence Seaport Museum in January of 1996. This series of videos details the conservation at the museum.
George Washington Crossing the Delaware
A priceless painting depicting Washington’s troops crossing the Delaware, which languished in a dusty basement for 50 years, was recently unearthed and is being restored with the aid of the Order of the Founders and Patriots of America. When the restoration is complete, the painting will hang in pride of place in the new Visitors’ Center to be located at the overlook in the New Jersey Park.
Pat Millen, a founding trustee of the Washington Crossing Park Association (WCPA) discovered this long-forgotten mural while doing research for a book. She came across brief references to a mural depicting the crossing in possession of the State of New Jersey, which led her to a 1971 “American Association of Conservators and Restorers” (AACR) article on the removal of a beautiful and historically accurate mural of Washington’s Crossing, painted in 1921 by George Harding for Trenton’s Taylor Opera House.
An artist’s rendering of the mural’s placement in the new Visitors Center and Museum.
An image of the mural from the book “History of the George Washington Bicentental Celebration” published in 1932.
The 15’6” by 9’8” mural, in need of restoration and repair, in the care of conservator and WCPA trustees.
A section of the mural before the restoration process.
The memorial was erected in 1918, in memory of the thirty-six unknowns buried here, including fifteen American and twenty-one British soldiers. The words engraved on the tablet are those of Alfred Noyes (1880 – 1958), taken from his poem “Princeton” (1917). Noyes was a visiting professor at Princeton University, and later became Poet Laureate of England. He wrote his poem 140 years after the battle, at a time when American and British soldiers were fighting together in support of their common heritage of freedom. The opening lines of the poem are quoted on the plaque.
The area of the restoration with its center memorial.
“Here Freedom stood by slaughtered friend and foe,
And, ere the wrath paled or that sunset died,
Looked through the ages; then, with eyes aglow,
Laid them to wait that future, side by side.”